Monday, November 3, 2008

Eek and Ack!


Ah, Sundays! I spent a nice quiet day drawing thumbnails for the newest Stone Arch book while watching both my beloved Denver Broncos and Colorado Avalanche get their butts kicked. I was hoping at least one of them would pull it out for a win but no such luck. Ah well.

Speaking of Stone Arch Books, one of the people I used have the pleasure to work with in regards to contracts and invoices was Blake Hoena (congrats on the move up the ladder, Blake! You'll be missed!) Blake, rightfully so, has been moved into more creative pastures within the company. I found out after doing a Google search for Stone Arch that Blake had a blog himself. It was there that I found out he was not only one of the office guys but he also wrote a lot of the books as well!

One of the series he has created is a book called "Eek and Ack". It's the story of alien siblings who, in a quest to fight off the boredom all kids face, try to destroy the Earth. Each book showcases the wacky plots the two come up with to wipe us all off the galactic map. From slinging living ooze at us to accidentally taking out Pluto (melting it so much in fact that it can barely be called a planet) they are always up to something.

So, for Blake and how great he's always been to me, I drew up one of his characters in my own style. Originally, as I was penciling it out, I tried to emulate the style of the artist who had worked on all of the books in the series. But, after a few failed attempts, I just started from scratch and designed the character how I would have if I had been offered the books. It might be a bit more scary looking than the books that are out there on the shelves but it was a lot of fun to design and draw!

So, thanks Blake, and good luck on your future endeavors!

No comments: