Wednesday, April 29, 2009

OilCan Drive - It Ain't Me, Babe! - Part 2














Here is the original black and white and color art I created for the OilCan Drive CD cover.

I figured it might be nice to see how it originally looked before I threw it on the cover and distressed and aged the whole package.

This art is also the first time I've drawn the band together in one piece since I can't remember when. It felt good to "have them all in the same room" as it were. I definitely need to do more pieces like this and my notebook has more than a few sketch ideas in it where the band is all together and either posing for the shot or just having a good time. I can't wait to flesh those ideas out into finished pieces.

Also, like the last song I did last fall, "Walk Away", I posted the OilCan Drive version of Bob Dylan's song onto a few music forums. Where "Walk Away" got reactions like "you suck", "your song makes my ears bleed", and "why don't you just break your instruments, already?", "It Ain't Me, Babe" was met with mostly resounding silence. The most critical comment I got is that they didn't like my version simply because they liked the original too much. One site I posted it on got no comments at all. So, go figure...

And here I was looking forward to more "you suck!" comments. As much as those get under your skin I had planned to promote OilCan Drive's first album with quotes like that. I think there are far too many "this music will change your LIFE" comments out there trying to describe new music. A description filled with "critics say this band is the worst thing you're likely to hear this year. They should just smash there instruments right now and save us the bleeding ears. If you like good music, please, for your own sake, don't hit the button to the left and listen to this band's music!" would be refreshing.

A description like that I can't imagine anyone NOT pushing the button to hear what it sounds like.

So, yeah, I'm kind of dissapointed that no one really hated it. But, there is always next time.

No comments: