Thursday, April 23, 2009

OilCan Drive - It Ain't Me, Babe!

Cover songs are always fun to do. You don't have to worry about coming up with the lyrics or song arrangements or chord changes or anything like that. You just have to figure out how to make an already great song your own.

One of the first things I did when I finished up the last round of Stone Arch kid's books was to set my sites on, yet again, the OilCan Drive project. I didn't want to just jump right into a huge project so I decided the band doing a cover song would be a nice way to ease myself back into the project.

Doing Bob Dylan covers are always a blast. His songs are always rock solid while at the same time simple enough to interpret parts in your own way. Doing "It Ain't Me, Babe" appealed to me for two simple reasons. One, I like the part at the end of the chorus where the line turns around and says, "it ain't me you're looking for, BABE..." right at the point where the musical phrase goes back to the one. And second, honestly, it was just too much fun to try and scream out, "NO NO NO" in as rock and roll a voice as I could muster.

The packaging for the final burned CD was a punk rock do-it-yourself project unto itself. Not only did I design the CD package to look like a well loved, beaten up, product but I like the actual design of the package itself. This was simple a piece of 11x17 cardstock that I printed, trimmed, flded up and then double stick taped together. For something that came out of a regular copy machine, the cover is something I'm really proud of. It doesn't get much more punk rock than sitting at a table for hours folding up your own packaging.

So, here for those of you who haven't heard it yet and those of you who I sent a CD but were too afraid to open up the nice plastic shrink wrap on it is OilCan Drive's live version of Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me, Babe":



And, if the embedded version above doesn't work, the direct link to the song can be found HERE.

No comments: