Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Red Rocket 7 and The Gear

I've recently been rereading Mike Allred's book "Red Rocket 7."

I first bought the collected edition a bunch of years ago when I had a little tradition of picking up something special the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at the comic book shop. Years before I had been getting the newest Alex Ross books because they came out that day. But, one year, there was no new Alex Ross book so I was looking for something to fill the void.

What I found was "Red Rocket 7."

I'd always been a fan of Mike's "Madman" books so I took a chance and picked up the book. It's a mix of science fiction and the real world history of rock and roll music. I've read it so many times that the spine fell apart and I had to coil bind the book back together. Reading back on it now it's the closest thing I can find to what I'm doing with OilCan Drive.

What I didn't know back then is that Mike even released some music along with the comic book. Under the band name "The Gear: Son of Red Rocket 7", he released a full CD album of music.

And yesterday, I found it online, listened to some samples of it, and decided to buy it.

Here are a few samples of the album, courtesy of Ultrazine.org.

Subtle Song
Black Narcissus
Now, when I first listened to the samples I really wasn't impressed. I even had Monika listen to the tracks and she told me to shut it off. I was really expecting something, well...um...better. And yet I bought it anyway.

Why did I buy it if I wasn't impressed, you ask?

Well, because, when I listen to it, I think I can make an album of music as good as if not better than Mike Allred did with Red Rocket 7. Sometimes, along with finding the great music and art that inspire you to strive to do more and get better, it's as important to find things out there that you think you can beat. If that guy can do it and put out an album, what's stopping me? So, hopefully, listening to this album when I get it will make me think I can do better.

It's like the story of the two campers who get attacked by a bear one day in their tent. One of the campers stops to put on his running shoes. The other shouts, "you're crazy! you think you can out run a bear?!" "No," the sneaker wearing camper says, "but I can out run YOU!"

As big a fan of his work as I am, I feel empowered in saying this. Mike Allred, I think I can outrun you.

2 comments:

AdamTrap said...

Put on those running shoes, my friend.

Sean Tiffany said...

I'm lacing them up as I type...