Friday, August 27, 2010

From The Vault - Marvel Painting 1994

Here are a few more painting from 1994 in my days of airbrushing pieces for Marvel Comics.

Apparently these two pieces were used for ashcan comics. Back in the early days publishers would put out little preview books of upcoming comics and somehow these became just as collectible as the comic books themselves. So, pretty soon, everyone started doing them to try and make a little bit of extra money.

Whatever the reason, it just meant more work for me and I was happy to have it.

The cool thing about these two pieces is that the top one, the Punisher, was drawn by the master himself Joe Kubert. I had graduated from Joe's school just a few years earlier so to have a job where I actually got to paint over his work was incredible.

And the Doctor Strange piece is where I was really pushing the boundries of how I could paint using the old blue-line board technique. Back inthose days you'd paint underneath a sheet of plastic and the plastic would have all of your black lines on it. Well, on this one I figured out I could actually paint right on top of the plastic and add some special effects in a way I had never done before. In the days before computer coloring this was thinking outside the box.

So, there you go, a few more pieces of mine from the old coloring days at Marvel. It's amazing to see where my life has gone since that time.

No comments: