Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Little Spud

A while ago I was asked by my friend Jen to design her a little cartoon mascot character for a group she belongs to called the Wildlands Restoration Volunteers. It's a group of people that help the environment around Boulder County by fixing the hiking trails, planting trees, and restoring the Rocky Mountain's fragile ecosystem.

It took me a while to find some time to get around to this project but, once Jen and I talked about what she was thinking, the actual illustration went really quickly.

What I did find funny about doing this piece was that I did a pencil sketch and sent it to Jen, awaiting her approval before I went on to finish it. When she wrote back an email that simply said, "Hercules, Hercules!" I wasn't sure if that was approval or not. So, I asked her if she liked it. She said, "of course, I like everything you do. It looks great." I told her I was so trained to wait for client approval now before going forward that I felt I needed her permission to finish.

Her response?

"Silly clients...they should know you do a great job and should be happy with the great work you give them"

So, yeah, that made me feel good.

I hope she gets some good use out of the little spud!

2 comments:

rob! said...

That's great all around!

Sean Tiffany said...

Thanks, Robbo!