Friday, July 22, 2011

From The Vault - Exit 6 #2 Alternate Cover 1996

Much like the first issue of Exit 6 that I showed last week, the second issue also had an alternate cover that I didn't use for the printed book.

Looking back I think I chose the cover I did use because I knew the orders for the second book would drop to almost half what the first book did in sales. I was given advice, and it made sense to me at the time, that if I put a sexy pin-up type shot of Courtney wearing next to nothing it would draw more attention than my original idea. Maybe it worked and maybe it didn't but, as an older and wiser man now, I'm sad to say I tried to use sex to sell an issue of Exit 6.

I really like this original cover and I wish I had used it. I love the way Frank looks all menacing and how Keith is protecting a sleeping (or passed out) Courtney. I think it would have made a great finished cover once I inked and painted it.

In the end, yes, the sales matter, but I wish I had taken a different route with the cover of Exit 6 number two and kept things a bit more classy. Yes, the sales matter, but so does the art itself.

And the art lasts a lot longer than those initial sales do.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: