Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Soccer Cover Figure

Here is the last cover I did for the latest round of Jake Maddox books and, believe me, it was the one that gave me the most headaches.

For the covers of this round of books I was given some photo mock-ups created by my art director to give me an idea of what he had in mind and how he wanted the figures to look. I went through and penciled all of the figures and did my best to match his ideas. There were a few initial changes that needed to be made and, overall, most of the figures were a go ahead to finish. But not this soccer kid. I made the changes, sent them back in, and was told that no one was really feeling the action. I was sent another photo that everyone agreed was better and I did a new pencil sketch based on that. Nope, no one liked that one either.

So, instead of sending me another photo I was told to do what I thought would look cool. I did a quick pencil sketch and emailed it over. And, what do you know, that was the one that was chosen to go to a finished piece. It took a while but I'm glad I finally got there and I'm happy with the way this guy turned out.

And, while I have finally read the basketball book I did the cover for the other day, I still have yet to read the story about this soccer player. So, I am really hoping I got the feel of this guy right and it works with the interior story of the book.

Hopefully I'll know soon enough.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Manu said...

Hi Sean ! I have a good news concerning your favourite TV show ! BBC has signed with director Peter Yates to develop a big screen adaptation of Dr Who !

The goal is to do a franchise, and the first opus will be an introduction dealing with Time Lords origin, time travelling machine, and so on.... Cool news, isn't it ? :)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/bbc-hires-harry-potter-director-david-yates-to-develop-doctor-who-film-franchise

Sean Tiffany said...

Nice! That is some great news, Manu! Thanks!