Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Freedom Fighter

Maybe it's because I watched the movie "Red Dawn" a few nights ago (note to self: if the Russians invade and a high school is in its way, the high school is going to get its ass kicked) or because I've had Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles playing on the DVD player for the last few days, but I've had guerrilla freedom fighters on the brain.

And, because I needed a new image for February's blog header I decided to revisit an old illustration I did years ago of Ryan Burke. It's the first time I've ever done a new drawing based on something I did before but I really liked this idea and I wanted to update him a bit. After getting the pencil sketch done I'm amazed how much better this looks than something I did years ago. But, it was nice to see I'm still getting better.

I love the idea of Ryan as a freedom fighter loaded down with gear and wearing a bandana to cover his face. But, I think my favorite part is, instead of putting a weapon in his hand, I left his guitar. I think that's one of the reasons I love the idea of OilCan Drive so much. I can draw all sorts of tech gear and mechanical stuff but, when it comes down to it, instead of putting weapons of destruction in the character's hands, I put instruments of creativity.

OK, off to inking...February is close and this thing needs to get done fast!

Have a great one!

No comments: