Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Something More Personal

I found some free time for myself late last night and sat down and sketched out Nicole Baylor, the drummer for OilCan Drive.

While I like the idea behind the piece and love the cute look she is giving there is just something that feels a bit off about the pose. I struggled with it a bit last night in bed while trying to fall asleep (I penciled this sometime between 2am and 3am last night) and I think I finally figured it out.

So, while I like the idea behind this piece I don't like the execution and I'll probably be redrawing it when I get another free minute. But, it was nice to finally find some time to do something for myself and not a client. I think I might be working on my own stuff after the midnight hour more often.

And, I get to show off some behind the scenes artwork that you'd never probably see if it wasn't for this blog. And, to me, that's what a blog should be about. Not just the nice and polished stuff, but also the failed attempts as well.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

This is a great piece dude! I'm sure you'll end up doing it better, but I really like this one.
Jeff

Sean Tiffany said...

Thanks Jeff. I liked it too but once I sat down and figured out what was wrong there was really no other way out of it except to sit down and draw it again.

But, I sketched the new pose out quickly in my notebook and confirmed what I was thinking was right.

So, now I need to draw a new one. Hopefully it's as cute as this one.