Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Robots Need Sex

About a week ago my friend Lou came over and we recorded a song of his called "Robots Need Sex."

The idea was to record the song and then do a video so I rigged some cameras up to capture Lou playing and singing the song. I captured about eight different angles as he played the song a few times through. I figured it might be cool to have some footage of the actual song being recorded instead of trying to lip synch and pretend to play to a backing track later.

The video is far from being even started and Lou hasn't actually even heard this mixed version of the song yet (he's on vacation this week so I'm not sure when he'll get a chance to listen to it or if he'll even like it.) But, I wanted to share it with you.

And, since I figured a piece of video would be better than no video at all, I synched up one of the videos we took with the finished song.

I built a simple rig that let me attach my little GoPro camera to the headstock of a guitar. It's fun to see the shot pan around and the background move as the camera stays stable looking down the guitar's neck. It's a bit jittery as Lou was really banging away on the bass playing this song but I think it works and was a fun experiment.

We'll see how getting a full video done goes but, for now, at least the song is done so that's one step out of the way.

Well, of course, I'll have to make sure Lou likes the mix first but I'll worry about that later.

For now, enjoy "Robots Need Sex!"

3 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

Looks cool man!

rob! said...

Considering the title I was expecting something more Barry White-ish. Robot Barry White-ish...

Sean Tiffany said...

Lou don't do Barry White. And everything I get my mitts on seems to turn into some sort of punk rock type of thing. I just can't help it.