Monday, April 2, 2012

Volcano Island!

Last fall I was tapped to do the cover box art for a new board game coming out this year.

The game deals with players running around a spooky island with a giant volcano at the center. Not only is the volcano in danger of going off, covering everyone with ash and lava Pompei-style, but there is also an angry Tiki God to contend with who simply wants you off his island.

I got the initial idea from my art director (which you can at the top of the photo) and the first thing I did was a pretty detailed roughly inked concept sketch of the whole piece. I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page before I started penciling the finished piece and I thought this would be a good way to start.

The sketch was approved and I was off to pencil a giant, double paged, piece of work. I think, in the end, the final piece was about 28"x17". But, this sketch was a great place to start.

Tomorrow, I'll show off some of the pencils for the piece.

Have a great day!

No comments: