Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

This July has definitely been a weird one. From the beginning of the month we had fires all across the front range in Colorado. Around the fourth of July I found out a guy I used to work with had taken his own life. Later that week I found out another guy I used to work with finally lost his battle with cancer and is no longer with us. And this week we had the tragedy that occurred at a midnight showing of Batman here in Aurora, Colorado.

And, even thought none of these things directly affected me or my family it's just been a weird month over all and I'll be glad when it's over.

One bright spot was that Monika and I got a chance to go out and see the new Spider-Man movie this last week. I was a little nervous about seeing it because I had read a few reviews about how it was unnecessary and simply a rehash of the first Spider-Man movie with Tobey Maguire from ten years ago. But, I tell ya, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great retelling of the origin, felt a lot better than the first movie, and Andrew Garfield did a much better job as Peter Parker.

It's one I'll definitely be buying on DVD or BluRay once it comes out to own.

I was so happy with the movie that I had to sit down and do a new piece of Spider-Man art. I've always loved Spidey. He's been my hero since I first started reading comics as a little kid and he's one of my heroes to this day.

Inspired by the lean look that Andrew Garfield brought to the role I wanted make a "lean and mean" Spidey. Also, because I liked Garfield's rendition of Peter Parker so much I also wanted to rip the mask off his face and let Peter shine for a bit.

Also, to test out a new technique, I blue line penciled the piece, skipped my usual detailed penciling with a graphite pencil, and went straight to inks. This saved me a lot of time both in the detailed pencil work and in having to erase those lines later after finishing inking. I then scanned the piece into the computer and had at it with some digital paint.

All in all the piece was done from start to completion in one night. So, as happy as I am with how it turned out I'm also really happy with my efficient use of time and getting it done so quickly.

And, because I wanted to use this piece to test something else out, I just put the original signed black and white piece as well as a photo print of the colored piece up on EBay for sale. I haven't sold anything on EBay in years so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

You can check out the EBay auction HERE.

With all that has happened this month at least there are little victories I can still cling to like getting a nice piece of art done in a decent amount of time. I hope you're all doing well and staying safe. It seems like it's getting more and more interesting out there in the world every day.

Have a great day.

No comments: