Thursday, June 26, 2014

Brick

 I had my first day off in weeks yesterday. I took it easy, slept late, and went and saw the Angelina Jolie movie, Maleficent, at the theater with a friend. It was a good way to spend a day off but I was ready to get back into the OilCan Drive groove today.

I've missed posting so many pages this last month due to the Denver Comic Con, client work, and being sick. I hated missing the updates but something had to give and the easiest thing to let go of was the OilCan Drive stuff. With any luck I am hoping to get back on schedule and start posting pages in the first few weeks of July. I am only nine pages short of having the second chapter done and, by God, I will finish that second book even if it kills me.

But, today I thought I'd start on something simple and fun to get my head back into the OilCan Drive world. I've been doing so much client work that it sometimes doesn't feel so much like art as it does production work that I have gotten so good at that the process doesn't really present a challenge anymore. So, I thought I'd try something different and this drawing of Brick will make a nice little experiment.

I figure that the worst thing that can happen is I fail and go back to doing things the old way.

Right now this piece looks like most other things I've shown off on the blog. I penciled the piece while I was at lunch today with friends and inked it when I got home tonight. The next step, the coloring, is where it will get interesting.

But I'll have to wait until Friday to start on that. If it works, I'll show it off this weekend. If not, it's back to digital color so I can use this piece for July's blog header.

Either way, I am really liking how crazy I have Brick looking in this piece. I've missed working on OilCan Drive. It's time to get back to it.


No comments: